5/27/11

one bag.

I'm currently sitting on the bus to Chicago. Just left Madison and all of its lovely people until July, whew! My head is in about 20 different places right now. These past few days have blended together into a cacophony of packing, purchasing, talking, listening, writing, hugging, laughing, crying, drinking, walking, running, and wondering. There seems to be a lack of sleeping and showering in that list. Lingira is prominently in the front of my mind as Karla, Paul and I prepare for this trip.

This most recent weekend was a much need getaway to my cabin with some of the EDGE ladies. A little R&R before the storm of travel did me some good. Livy, Georgette, Abby, Karla and Erin joined me at my families cabin Saturday morning till Monday afternoon. Though we didn't hit the best of weather up in Birchwood, we had plenty of fun in the cabin. Georgette and Livy helped me put the dock in to start off the cabin season. It was the first time I had ever attempted putting the dock in without my dad so I was a little nervous. That, unfortunately or fortunately, is where the dock story ends because it went so smoothly! Thanks Georgiepie and Livmeister for being champions and toughing the rain and cold.

At the cabin I had a "conference call" with the board of directors for EDGE (the founders) and some past travelers. It was largely focused on the vision the EDGE project still holds and how it has changed since the beginning. Much of what the organization strives to achieve has stayed the same over the past three years but the process has changed. The early stages of any organization go through major administrative changes that aim to work out the kinks and unnecessary baggage. With Paul and I soon to be in the driver's seat of the EDGE project, people want to make sure we lead with a recognizable and appropriate strategy and focus, but still allow us to have the opportunity to change parts of the project. Enough about admin junk, let's get to the good part!

My bag. Considering I started packing this morning, I must say I am pretty impressed with my efficiency. My goal was to pack as a minimalist to save room for letters, gifts and snacks for the island. Some of the basics that I strained to try not to forget are all necessary things like Malaria medicine, contact solution (though I forgot extra contacts.. nice job Sam!), etc. Some of the more fun things I packed include a harmonica, eucalyptus tree mint toothpicks, cards and M&Ms. Clothing and all, I am physically able to carry on my entire bag without checking but I have some things that wouldn't be allowed in a carry-on bag. Preparing for this trip has been a ballad of excitement and confusion. Elise Mann, a goddess of sorts, helped me these past two days get mentally and physically ready. We spent hours talking about the island, its people, and traveling around. Elise has been to the island twice now. She was part of the maiden voyage and also led the second trip with Karla. Her knowledge of the island and passion for good is empowering in itself. Though I wont ever be totally ready for what I am getting myself into, she has helped enormously with settling my mind and preparing myself for a total embrace with Lingira. If you get the chance to meet her, make her laugh. It will make your day.

I have worried about the impact we can actually have. It constantly eats away at my conscious. It's unfortunate that we are only traveling for a month, which really limits the amount of work we can physically and mentally pack into the trip. Only recently have I begun to see a true, realistic purpose. We can't expect to change an entire community overnight or even in three years. What we can, and what we have the ability to do, is create a sustained relationship with Lingira. We maintain a healthy relationship by providing them with our resources and knowledge. We're not trying to change their lives, because that is next to impossible. We provide the chance to learn to make some aspect of their day a little happier. People are interested to see how people react to Paul and I, as we are the first EDGE boys to travel. I hope that the presence of non-religiously affiliated guys (Paul and I) can open up a new corridor for the secondary school kids. Just to simply be able to have conversations with us is a goal of mine. I want to establish healthy communication with EDGE and the school children. For Paul and I, I optimistically envision this happening through enormous amounts of soccer.

I'm anxious to continue posting here since that will mean more and more of this will become a reality as the trip goes. Please continue reading if you like. I am going to try my hardest to keep my postings as frequent as possible but cannot promise anything. My highly divided mind seems to have been represented through this post. I am staying with Karla tonight at her home in Oak Park, outside of Chicago. Tomorrow we have plenty more shopping to do before we leave, but it's all exciting. I've gotten used to the overwhelming feeling of this trip and have begun turning into excitement. Traveling with Karla is a huge relief for Paul and I, since she knows what's up. This traveling trio is turning into a community development power team, nervously excited to get our feet on the ground and dive in head first.

Cheers friends, I'll greatly miss all of your lovely selves.

No comments:

Post a Comment